Whether you’re more into Xenakis or Arca, granular synthesis has helped a plethora of artists express themselves in unconventional ways. Wanna join them? That’s where microGranny comes into play.
Our monophonic granular sampler packs grand lo-fi sound into a small body. The 2nd generation of Bastl's instant classic reads wav samples from a microSD card and applies granular algorithms to them. With a vast collection of samples at your hands, you can do much more than simply trigger each one in turn. You can adjust start, end, sample rate (tuned or free run), crush, and envelope (attack release).
Don’t fear pushing microGranny’s buttons
The minimal interface keeps things simple while offering many possible styles of playing. The microGranny complements your musical gear with no fuss – with MIDI Input, you can take complete external control of all parameters and transposition of the samples or play individual grains by different keys. You can play and hack the settings as much as you like, since over the past few years, we’ve majorly improved stability and so that it’s impossible to get the device stuck in any mode.
The Bastl microGranny has received raving reviews from the likes of Andrew Huang and many others. Sound on Sound's Paul Nagle says in his review that: "Maybe, like me, you've never anticipated the pleasures of a portable 8-bit sampler, but a brief exposure to Bastl Instruments' mini-marvel should sort that out."
- monophonic mono sampler
- microSD card (storing + recording samples, storing presets)
- 6 sounds with full adjustments storable in a preset at once
- 60 presets in 10 banks (6 preset per bank), stored as .txt files on the microSD card
- wav sample playback from microSD card (mono, 22050 Hz, 8 or 16 bit, two letter file name)
- 8-bit 22050Hz wav recording via line input or onboard microphone
- hold button
- sample rate (tuned or free run)
- start, end position with repeat, instant loop
- granular settings: grain size and shift speed (positive or negative)
- amplitude envelope attack and release
- MIDI Input – responds to note, cc, and clock (synchronize loop and grains)
- MIDI side chain envelope restart
- copy, paste
- input & output volume knob
- power switch – plug/battery
- hackable – arduino based
- dimensions: 140 x 75 x 55 mm
- powered by 9V battery, 9V DC center positive power supply or side pins
- user manual pdf
- the famous user manual draft
- soundbanks: V2.0 V2.3 V2.5
- MIDI implementation chart
- microGranny is based on WaveRP library – its modified version on gitHub + HW library for Arduino (in 1 folder)
- source code gitHub repository
You can build your own microGranny with our DIY kit. Go through the complete assembly guide below and make sure that you understand all the steps.
- BUY DIY KIT
- complete assembly guide pdf v2.1b pdf v2.1
- schematics top board pdf bottom board pdf – it needs a bit of cosmetics though
- board pdf
- made by Bastl Instruments
- design – graphic layout – Anymade Studio
- code uses hacked version of WaveRP and SDFat library for Arduino
- PCB made in Fritzing, designed partly derived from Adafruit Wave Shield
- thanks to beta testers: Ryba, HRTL
- thanks to Klára Stolkova for help with the video
Are there any differences in software between Limited Editions?
Limited Edition Grannies were sold with different versions of software, as it was approaching its final version. Since the first version of MG2 came out, we have updated the software several times. The software gets better and better thanks to your feedback! Big thanks! <3
Anyway, it is possible to update your Atmega microcontroller with the newest arduino software posted on our GitHub. Still, we know that not all of the current MG2 users own a programmer, or can handle the update on their own. So you can get the preprogrammed chip with the newest firmware HERE.
- new better sample bank :)
- fixes in midi implementation (midi velocity bug, lowest notes to play samples were offset)
- added “store instant loop” feature (go to instant loop and press save combo (FN>REC) = start and end point will match the points you marked in instant loop and instant loop switches off)
- way more detailed control of grain size and shift speed – curve mapping for the parameters
- improvements in stability
- improved randomizer
- fixed midi clock absence bug
- fixed midi grain playback in reverse
- removed midi side chain function
- major improvement stability
- impossible to make the microgranny stuck in any setting
- midi implementation improvement
- removed input volume indication for recording
- fixes in visual feedback – flickering display filter