Timber is very flexible wave shaping module that can produce rich timbres by adding harmonics to simple waveforms (triangles and sinewaves) or any other signal. It has 2 different unique wave shaping circuits, the WAVE DRIVER (I) and the WAVE FOLDER (II) and voltage controlled crossfader to fade between the different circuits or between one of them and the clean input signal.
Novel take on the Serge style wavefolding circuit & more...
Both circuits share the same control voltages: the SHAPE which sets the input amplification before the wave shaping circuit and the SYMMETRY control which adds voltage offset to the input signal to provide various asymmetric overdrives or wave folding sounds. There is also voltage FBK CV jack which when provided with positive voltages feeds respective portion of the output signal back to the input which results in chaotic and aggressive behaviours. It is calibrated to work well with 5V gate voltages.
The WAVE DRIVER (I) is an overdrive circuit with one folding stage and it has 2 configuration 3-way switches (9 different configurations). The drive switch can set the overdrive character to SOFT or HARD or something in between. The FOLD switch can set the folding threshold to HI or LO or it can turn the folding stage off in the NO position.
The WAVE FOLDER (II) is a novel take on the serge style wavefolding circuit which has specific behaviour to abuse the high gain of the input amplification stage to provide rich high frequency timbres with higher settings of the SHAPE parameter. It has a configuration switch which can either activate clean 4 stage wavefolding in the OK position or highly asymmetric folding stage in the KO position that provides strange metallic character. The NO position provides only the very last overdrive-folding stage.
- the WAVE DRIVER (I) is overdrive circuit with one folding stage.
- 3-way DRIVE SWITCH to set character of overdrive (SOFT-MID-HARD)
- 3-way FOLD SWITCH to configure the folding threshold level (LO-NO-HI)
- independent output I. OUT
- the WAVE FOLDER (II) is a 4 stage wavefolding circuit
- 3-way FOLD SWITCH to set character of folding stages (OK-NO-KO)
- independent output II. OUTcommon INPUT for both circuits
- SHAPE sets input amplification before signal enters waveshaping stages
- SYMMETRY adds voltage offset to the input signal
- SYMMETRY becomes bipolar attenuator when the jack is connected
- X-FADE voltage controlled crossfader with bipolar attenuator
- switch to select between INPUT and I. WAVE DRIVER for the left side of the X-FADE
- X-FADE IN jack breaks normalisation of II. WAVE FOLDER on the right side of X-FADE
- positive voltage at FBK CV jack sends signal from the output or II. back to the INPUT
- aluminium front panel
- handmade locally by Bastl Instruments in Brno, Czech Republic
- 7 HP
- PTC fuse and diode protected 10-pin power connector
- 24 mm deep
- power consumption +12V: < 50 mA, -12V: <50 mA
- pdf user manual download