The SP2 sometimes skips steps when synced via the SYNC IN jack.
This issue was fixed in the firmware update v1.2 found in the Downloads section below on the product page. Please update your firmware.
The SP2 has an unstable pitch. What is wrong?
This is related to the TRANSPOSE input jack calibration. It might be caused by the USB power source you are currently using. To fix the calibration connect a patch cable from the CV output (SEQ) to the TRANSPOSE input. Turn on the SP2 while holding the SCALE and SLIDE buttons. Now the input has been re-calibrated. Turn the SP2 off and back on, and disconnect the patch cable.
Nothing is happening on the sequencer CV output.
This is probably because the output is configured to output MIDI velocity voltage. Hold MIDI and press PATTERN to deactivate the MIDI velocity mode.
The SP2 sounds out of tune. What to do?
The SP2 has an analog triangle core oscillator and automatic tuning feature. To stabilize the oscillator, you should wait a few minutes after powering it up, so the unit can heat up, and then hold SLIDE and MIDI buttons for more than 2 seconds. This will automatically calibrate the oscillator. Move the FINE-TUNE fader all the way to the right. Now your SP2 is in tune.
If the SP2 falls out of tune, you can quickly re-tune it by holding SLIDE and quickly pressing the MIDI button.
How do I update the firmware?
The Softpop’s firmware can be updated by playing a wav file into its RESET jack.
- Hold the MIDI button at startup to enter bootloader mode.
- To upload new firmware, connect a cable from the RESET input to your computer/phone audio output, and play the wav file downloaded from the product page at maximum volume. Lights should animate progress, and all should light up when the process is done.
- Power off and on after all lights come on.
Can I brick/harm the SP2 by updating the firmware?
No, that is not possible.
I have issues updating the SP2. What should I do?
In case the SP2 does not boot to normal operation after an update, get back to bootloader mode and check the following:
- Powering via USB and playing audio from the same computer can sometimes cause issues (depending on the computer).
- The power source can also affect the update. Sometimes changing the power source may help with updates if they fail repeatedly.
- If your audio output is too weak for the RESET jack, connect your computer audio output to INPUT. Set the INPUT slider in the middle, patch AMP to RESET, and play the wav file again.
How do I know what firmware is running on my SP2?
The firmware version is indicated at startup by the corresponding GATE number blinking several times. If GATE number 2 blinks, you are running firmware v1.2. All units from the batch shipped in February 2022 have version v1.1 installed. Please update to v1.2 for better sync stability.
My SP2 is not tracking after firmware update. What should I do?
EEPROM reset: Hold PLAY+TEMPO+TRIG for a few seconds and switch ON the power. Wait for the LED animation to finish. Release the buttons. Switch OFF.
After that, you can check the reset by going to TEST MODE:
- Hold SCALE+SLIDE and boot up. Then long-press the MIDI button; GATES 2 and 3 will not light. Switch off the SP2.
- Connect a patch cable from CV to TRANSPOSE and boot up to TEST MODE (holding SCALE+SLIDE). Unconnect cable.
- Start the tuning procedure by holding MIDI+SLIDE. After it's finished, check by long-pressing MIDI that all GATE LEDS light up now.
- Switch OFF and ON again to normal operation.
Nothing happens when I press the PLAY button
You are in the wrong MIDI mode. Please hold the MIDI button and press the play button. With this button combination, you will switch the sequencer from listening to the start/stop message over the midi to the internal sequencing.
I cannot record the TRIG effects
When you press the TRIG button you can play internal punch-in effects. You can even stack them. Simply by pressing TRIG + multiple GATE buttons. My favorite is the combination of 2+6 and 1+2.
If you want to record them to a sequence, press and hold TRIG and then press and hold PLAY (hold them both till you finish recording the effects sequence) and press the different combinations of the effects. Then release the buttons.
If you want to delete the effects, press and hold TRIG and then press and hold PLAY. When you release both buttons, the effects are deleted.
When you press and hold TRIG, you can see which effects are active on which step. Trigger effects are quantized to grid, but it requires some good timing for some of them.
- quickstart guide pdf
- reference manual pdf
- patch sheet A4 pdf
- latest firmware v1.2 wav
- release notes & how to update pdf
Could't find what you were looking for? Please use the contact form to get in touch with our tech support.